Thursday 9 October 2008

I don't have a blog... (Orig Post 28-05-2008)

but if I did, this is what I would write today:I'm a pretty middle of the road type guy. I was raised a republican, am registered independent and am hoping Obama closes out the nomination soon. That being said, I think both Clinton and McCain would make much, much better presidents than we've recently elected. That's why I really don't mind if people want to vote for Hillary for president. That is certainly their perogative and she has thousands of outstanding qualities. However, what I do mind is that 1 in 5 voters yesterday claimed race was a significant issue in their choice. 9/10 of these voted for HRC. Another way of putting it, is that 25% of the votes cast for Hillary yesterday were votes for white over black...and this number is just the percent of people audacious enough to state their prejudices to a complete stranger!As much as I couldn't wait to watch the day after the W.V. primairy, I am truly dreading sitting down to watch the Daily Show with John Stewart tonight. There is no telling what bible-beating, uneducated, impoverished persons they are going to stick a camera on and ask for analysis of Obama as a presidential candidate. I can only hope it turns out better than West Virginia 15 minutes in the spotlight. Observe:W.Virginian #1: "He's just another race and that scares me a little bit."W.Virginian #2: "I'm just not going to vote for one of those muslims!"W.Virginian #3: "No more Hussein! I'm tired of these Hussein's!"(not word for word, but I will vouch for their general accuracy) So help me, if Kentucky is able to out-do these three responses, I will start a movement tomorrow for Louisville as a sovereign state away from the rest of this pathetically uneducated state.That way Louisville tax money can go to LOUISVILLE projects like bridges and downtown economic development while the rest of this state can argue about the definition of marriage and then pray for their roads to get fixed when they fail to pass a functional budget.

No comments: