Sunday 26 October 2008

Blog of Bling #8- Bling for President 2020

So I posted my absentee ballot a few days ago for a hefty price of 5.78 GBP (~$10!) Following in the lines of the "I'm no economist" post, but I'm no government expert, but here are a couple thoughts I've had on this election which I've tried to follow pretty closely.

John McCain is not G.W. Bush. That being said, he shouldn't have let any of W's guys into his campaign...at all. Sure, you could say the economic crisis killed his chances, but the moral far right is going to vote GOP no matter what. Why he needed to appease that part of the base with the Sarah Palin pick is beyond me. Because while he probably did energize the far right of the current GOP constituency, the pick alienated any intelligent independent voter out there, and those are the votes that are going to decide the election.

Needless to say after that, but I voted for Obama. What can I say that hasn't already been said? the rest of the world is in love with him, and that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for America. Also, Sarah Palin scares me... a lot. (btw, did you know she sued the federal government for putting polar bears on the endangered species list?! i mean, could I make that up?) Plus Obama is just a smart, charismatic man who is too young to surround himself with yes-men. Intelligence plus diversity of opinion is the best way to achieve sound decision making. Also, I really really really like the idea of the green economy Obama talks about. I hope its actually feasible.

Anyway, I'm not here to shovel any party line down your throat. In fact, I think I'll do the opposite. I'm a registered independent these days, as what I think doesn't always line up with the party-line. So right now I'm creating my own political party and starting my campaign for the 2020 election (which will be the first election I'll be 35) I'm still working out the details, but basically the tenants of my party will be:


1.) fiscal responsibility- not in the GOP sense, but in the if you want to go to war or provide national health care, you have to raise taxes instead of just coming up with the money from somewhere...like from china)
2.) live and let live morals/judicial code- if it doesn't infringe on your rights, the government shouldn't care.
3.) switch the military budget and the education budget
4.) extra separation of church and state (because its not separate enough now)
5.) Take care of the environment (if we're not all perpetually swimming by 2020 anyway)

The name, you ask? "The Platinum Party" Nice, right?!

It is a party of the people, so if you have thoughts or additions to my list, post a note! Also, I'm looking for a VP to energise the constituency, whoever they may turn out to be)

1 comment:

Carmelle, Vincent, Tristan, Caleb, and Brayden Martinez said...

I would totally vote for Bling for President! I'd love to say that I could energize the world as a VP but it would more likely be closer to piss off the world....oh well. Maybe in another life....hope you're having a great time!!