Thursday 27 November 2008

Blog of Bling #11- Turkey Day Depression

It's Thursday morning here in London, and I'm at work instead of starving myself for a thanksgiving feast later. I'm actually quite depressed that I won't be partaking in the annual gluttony and slothiness that is eating turkey and watching (real) football all day. Not only will I not be partaking in usual festivities, it turns out that the lack of Thanksgiving holiday gives no limit to the beginning of the "Christmas" season here in the UK. They started celebrating three weeks ago.

Seriously, I think the Christmas season is too long to begin with. By the time December 25th rolls around, I'm usually sick and tired of chrismas carols, shopping crowds, and have gorged myself on chocolate candies so that none of my clothes fit. Here, Starbucks started playing Christmas music on November 10th this year. That means they will have celebrated Christmas for at least 46 days this year. That's 13% of the year devoted to a one-day holiday! How much money do you think it cost Starbucks to change all their displays, all their cup colors, the "roast" of their beans, and the decorations in their store? Does all that crap really make me want to drink Starbuck coffee over any other place?

Anyway, santa-starbucks rant aside, I'm quite depressed. So depressed, in fact, I shaved off all my hair last night. Rather, I had a flatmate do it for me. It's a bit shorter than I expected (and by a bit, I mean A LOT) due to a little confusion on the way to use the guard for the clipper, but that's ok. The point of my decision was to change things up a bit, and keep it interesting, which I definitely, definitely have done.

This morning, one person at the office described my hair as if "something had attacked me with hair clippers" while a couple others simply laughed. Personally, I think it looks good, or at least better than my usual hair cut. In fact, the cute Starbucks barista chatted me up a bit this morning, being unusually friendly for a crowded morning coffee bar. She ended up not charging me for the muffin I ordered and told me to "come back and see her."




Hmmm. Maybe this early Christmas season isn't that bad after all....

Here it is, my "what do you think" face, combined with my "trying not to get caught procrastinating in the office" face:

2 comments:

Christelle said...

lol...so cool! it looks cute on you...Cheer up.

Carmelle, Vincent, Tristan, Caleb, and Brayden Martinez said...

You're totally right about the shaved head, Bling.....or should I say Brad??? I'm sure you'll get that confusion now until your hair grows out.....because the hair is what makes Brad Pitt. Not the beautiful face or body or devilish smile.....just the hair :)